Home > Tax News & Info > Filing an Amended Tax Return

Filing an Amended Tax Return

Taxpayers file Form 1040X to correct a previously filed Individual income tax return and it must be filed on paper, not electronically. To claim a refund the return must be filed within three years from the date the original return was filed, or two years from the date the tax was paid, whichever is later. If more than one return will be amended, a separate 1040X should be prepared for each return and each 1040X should be mailed in a separate envelope. State income tax returns should be amended based on changes to your federal return.

Comments ( 0 )
  1. No comments yet.
Comments are currently closed.
Trackbacks & Pingbacks ( 0 )
  1. No trackbacks yet.
  2. Trackbacks are currently closed.