Home > Tax News & Info > Requesting more time to file your taxes

Requesting more time to file your taxes

You can use Form 4868 to request an automatic extension of time to file your individual income tax return. The automatic extension is good for 6 months and extends the due date of your tax return to October 15. To qualify for the extension you must estimate your tax liability and report your estimated tax liability on a timely filed form 4868.

You do not need to explain why you need the extension and you are not required to make a payment with form 4868,  but if you end up owing tax you will be charged interest and possibly penalties for late payment of tax.

Most States accept the Federal extension as an extension to file your state income tax return but similar to the Federal rules you should pay your estimated tax liability to avoid late payment penalties and interest.

Comments ( 0 )
  1. No comments yet.
Comments are currently closed.
Trackbacks & Pingbacks ( 0 )
  1. No trackbacks yet.
  2. Trackbacks are currently closed.