Home > Business Consulting > How to change a business address after a move

How to change a business address after a move

If your address has changed, it is important to update this information with the following agencies:

–          United States Postal Service

–          Internal Revenue Service

–          Minnesota Department of Revenue

–          Minnesota Secretary of State

–          Minnesota Unemployment

United States Postal Service

To begin forwarding your regular correspondence, and change your address to your new place of business use the following link, https://moversguide.usps.com/icoa/icoa-main-flow.do?execution=e1s1.  This will take you to the official change of address form for the United States Postal Service, and can be completely filled out and submitted online in a few short minutes.

Internal Revenue Service

To change your address with the IRS, you must complete and submit Form 8822, which can be found at the following link: http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8822.pdf. If you are changing both your home and business address, you must use a separate Form 8822 to show each change.  Use the instructions following the Form for the filing address.

Minnesota Department of Revenue

You can update your change of address or any other business information by using the following link, http://taxes.state.mn.us/e-file/Pages/other_supporting_content_update_info.aspx, and logging into e-File Minnesota. 

If you need to change your home address, send an e-mail to indinctax@state.mn.us including the last four digits of your Social Security Number, your full name, previous and current mailing address, and ten-digit phone number.

Minnesota Secretary of State

To change your registered office address with the secretary of state, go to the following link: https://online.sos.state.mn.us/corporateonlinefiling/.  This link will take you to the filing page, you have the option of filing online, or you may click on a separate link highlighted on the page for the paper form.  You will need to know your file number and entity type, which can be found by following the steps listed on the filing page.  A filing fee is required when changing your address.  If you decide to paper file you will need to send your completed Change of registered office form and a check made payable to the MN Secretary of State to:

Minnesota Secretary of State – Business Services

Retirement Systems of Minnesota Building

60 Empire Drive, Suite 100

St Paul, MN 55103

Minnesota Unemployment

Click on the following link, https://www1.uimn.org/ui_employer/employer/login.do, to login into your employer account.  After logging into your account, on My Home Page, click on Account Maintenance and update your address from there.

Taking these steps and proper planning can be the key to eliminating confusion at tax time. We are prepared to assist you with any advice on making changes with the agencies above. Please call us at 651-332-5101 if you would like to discuss these (or any other) matters.

Comments ( 0 )
  1. No comments yet.
Comments are currently closed.
Trackbacks & Pingbacks ( 0 )
  1. No trackbacks yet.
  2. Trackbacks are currently closed.